Skip to main content

Internet / World Wide Web / Bluetooth / Wi-Fi

1) What is the Internet, who founded/created it, when and why, how was it used originally and how it is used today.

The internet is a vast network of computers, servers, and devices that are connected to each other and allows us to send and receive information, communicate, and access a wide range of resources and services. The Internet was not founded by a single person or organization. It was developed over several decades through the collaboration of government agencies, private research institutions, and individual scientists and engineers. The Internet has its roots in the development of the ARPANET in the 1960s, which was a project of the U.S. Department of Defense's Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA). The development of the Internet continued through the 1970s and 1980s, with contributions from organizations such as the National Science Foundation and private corporations. It was originally created for the purpose of communication and data transfer between government agencies and research institutions. The internet is now used for education purposes (like Khan Academy), for online shopping (Amazon), and to keep in touch with friends and family from all over the world (Snapchat, Instagram, Whatsapp, Zoom, etc). The internet is also widely used for entertainment purposes such as watching funny videos on youtube or TikTok and listening to music (Spotify).

2) What is the World Wide Web, who founded/created it, when and why, how was it used originally, and how it is used today?

The World Wide Web is a system of interlinked, hypertext documents accessed through the Internet. It was created in 1989 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee and provides a graphical interface for accessing and organizing information on the Internet. It was originally created to make information on the Internet easier to access and share. Now, the Web is used to view websites, images, videos, and other types of content through a web browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. The Web has revolutionized communication, businesses, and information access and continues to play a big role in our daily lives.

3) Are they the same, or different, do they work together, separately, or side by side?

The Internet and the World Wide Web are not the same, they are different. The Internet is the base that makes it possible to connect and transfer information between devices, while the World Wide Web is a way of accessing and organizing information on the Internet through web pages and hyperlinks. They work side by side. 

4) When was the first website created, who created it, and is it still up, if yes, post the URL.

The first website was created in 1991 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of WWW. The first website was a simple text-based page that explained what the World Wide Web was and how to use it. The address of the first website was "http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html".

5) What is the connection of Hedy Lamarr to WiFi and Bluetooth, who was she, and is there a song about her, if so - why?

Hedy Lamarr was an Austrian-American actress and inventor who is often referred to as the "Mother of WiFi" and the "Mother of Bluetooth". This is because she co-invented a technology called frequency-hopping spread spectrum, which is the basis for many modern wireless communications technologies, including WiFi and Bluetooth. The invention was designed to help guide torpedoes during World War II. There is a song about Hedy Lamarr. The song is called "This Is a Song for Miss Hedy Lamarr," by Johnny Depp and Jeff Beck.

6) Who and when developed Bluetooth, who named it, and why does the logo looks like it does?

Bluetooth was developed in 1994 by Ericsson, the Swedish telecommunications company. The technology was named after the 10th-century Norwegian king Harald Bluetooth, who united Denmark and Norway. The name was chosen to reflect the goal of uniting different types of technology and making them work together seamlessly. The Bluetooth logo is a bind rune merging the Younger Futhark runes (Hagall) (ᚼ) and (Bjarkan) (ᛒ), Harald's initials. Bluetooth was originally developed as a wireless alternative to RS-232 data cables. It was designed to support simple wireless communications between telephones and computers and later expanded to support a wide range of devices, including headphones, speakers, mice, keyboards, and many others. Jim Kardach is credited with naming Bluetooth and has been recognized for his contributions to the development of the technology.

7) Who and when developed WiFi, what was the original name of WiFi, and when and how it was named?

WiFi technology was developed in the late 1990s by a group of engineers at the Australian research organization CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization). The first commercial implementation of WiFi technology was released in 1997, and the technology has since become one of the most widely used forms of wireless communication in the world. The original name of WiFi technology was "Wireless Fidelity". The name was intended to reflect the goal of providing wireless network connectivity that was as reliable and easy to use as traditional wired networks. The name was eventually shortened to WiFi, which has become one of the most widely recognized terms for wireless communication. The name "WiFi" was officially adopted in 1999 as part of a marketing effort to promote the technology. The name was created by the WiFi Alliance, a trade association that was formed to promote the adoption of wireless local area networks (WLANs) based on the IEEE 802.11 standards.

Bibliography:
Question 1: https://www.britannica.com/topic/ARPANET#:~:text=The%20Advanced%20Research%20Projects%20Agency,research%20institutions%20over%20telephone%20lines.
https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/Internet#:~:text=The%20Internet%2C%20sometimes%20called%20simply,to%20users%20at%20other%20computers).

Question 2:
https://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/#:~:text=Image%3A%20%C2%A9%20CERN-,Sir%20Tim%20Berners%2DLee%20invented%20the%20World%20Wide%20Web%20in,one%20of%20the%20earliest%20computers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web

Question 3:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47523993#:~:text=The%20world%20wide%20web%2C%20or,emails%20and%20files%20travel%20across.
https://www.pageonepower.com/linkarati/difference-between-internet-world-wide-web
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-internet-and-www/

Question 4:
https://www.businessinsider.com/flashback-this-is-what-the-first-website-ever-looked-like-2011-6#:~:text=The%20first%20web%20page%20went,%2FWWW%2FTheProject.html.

Question 5:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/shivaunefield/2018/02/28/hedy-lamarr-the-incredible-mind-behind-secure-wi-fi-gps-bluetooth/
https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/hedy-lamarr
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worldwide/digital-identity-and-security/magazine/women-technology-hedy-lamarr-mother-wi-fi

Question 6:
https://www.britannica.com/technology/Bluetooth
https://www.bluetooth.com/about-us/bluetooth-origin/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#:~:text=14%20External%20links-,Etymology,founders%20of%20the%20Bluetooth%20SIG.

Question 7:
https://www.csiro.au/en/research/technology-space/it/wireless-lan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi
https://www.cablefree.net/wireless-technology/history-of-wifi-technology/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business Cards

 Sketches: Final Product: 1) 2) 3)  Artist Statement: For my business cards, I used the colours of my three different logo variations as my colour scheme. I played around with a lot of different layouts but I chose these three. I took different ideas from my sketches to create these because I did not like how they turned out and merged them into what the final business cards looked like. I mainly centered the logos for each front page and used the back for all the information. I chose a handwritten font to pair with my logo so that it had a fancy feel. I used glyphs to create the tiny icons of a phone, house, and email, which helped me omit the words "Contact Information" and make my cards look professional. I think my favourite front cover layout is the first one and my favourite back design layout is the last one.

Portfolio

Artist Statement: I tried my best to keep my portfolio as neat looking as possible and kept a colour scheme that is easy on the eyes; black, white and red. For the front and back cover I used pictures of Japan as they are aesthetically pleasing and related to me. I tried my best to separate my work and make it as big as possible so that it is able to be seen. I kept the artist statement/most of my text on separate pages. I made sure to organize the layout properly so that the texts weren't next to each other and made sure it was kept in order of when we did each assignment. My favourite page is the logo page where I formatted it to look like a professional brand guideline page and it took me very long to lay it out the way I wanted it to. If I had more time, I would try out some different fonts and make some pages more interesting, but overall I am very proud of what I made.

Self Portrait Poster

Final Image of my Poster: Self Portrait: Selfie Inspiration: Propaganda Inspiration: \ Artist Statement: In this piece of work, I wanted to take a stand against racism using my graphic design skills to create a propaganda poster. As a person of colour in America, and as a victim of hate-crime in this country, I wanted to explain my feelings through my use of colour and representation of myself in the poster. I chose the colours red, greyscale and yellow to somewhat take inspiration from the constructivism art movement. I chose yellow to represent the tape and typography banners because I wanted it to give the effect of a crime scene.  In Illustrator, I created my self-portrait using the pen tool and shading with different colours. I did not want to include too many colours in my poster so I exported my portrait into Photoshop and applied a black and white filter as well as changed the brightness and contrast of my image to make it greyscale but not muted looking. Then, I took that ima