Skip to main content

Calligram

 


In this piece of work, I wanted to represent the country that impacted the way I am as a person. I moved to Dubai when I was 12 and lived there until I came to Florida for university. The letter I wrote to my future self spoke a bit about Dubai and I wanted to embrace the country that changed me to be who I am today. I created the Burj Khalifa and the Burj Al Arab using the pen tool to make calligrams, outlining the structures with my letter instead of filling in the text. I wanted the edges and outline itself to be visible instead of the fill because the unique building shapes are what make them so special. I chose these two buildings because they are very well known for representing Dubai. This is because Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world and Burj Al Arab is the only seven-star hotel in the world. I added sand because Dubai is a desert city and I wanted to represent that as well. I also added a sun using the word Dubai to create it, with colours of the sun. Lastly, I created an abstract shape using the three countries that have influenced my life; Hong Kong (where I was born and raised for 12 years), Dubai (where I lived during my teenage years), and Japan (where I travel every year to meet my grandparents). I made sure to use colours that represent the buildings themselves, and tried to create a contrast between the sand and the Burj Al Arab as orange and blue are complementary colours.

The letter I wrote to myself:

Dear future me, Hello from 2023 Naisha. I am in my sophomore year of university at the University of Tampa. I am technically in my third semester and just started a year ago. As of now, I am still an international student and our parents have not moved from Dubai to Orlando yet. How is life in 2043? Did I finally get my green card and my American passport? Do we still live in America or did we move somewhere else like Japan? Am I married to someone amazing? I hope they treat us well, as well as the men we read about in the books we enjoy reading. How many kids do I have? I wanted maybe 2.  Am I a good mom to my kids or my furbabies? I don’t want to be harsh or hurt them. I am enjoying my career path as a graphic designer so far. Using Illustrator and Photoshop is fun, and creating art is a good outlet for me. I do not feel creative yet but maybe it is because I have not found my style yet. I hope after 20 years I have finally found my style and have a good job. As of 2023, I want to be a website designer or a UI/UX designer. I’m interested to know what kind of jobs have opened up in the future. What is new in the graphic design field? Does that even exist still or did AI take over the art industry fully? Do we know how to code yet? I hope we learnt more than just HTML and CSS because coding is so important in 2023 for jobs. Are we still in touch with Pati and Ana? I hope so. They’re amazing people and genuinely are kind souls. Did we finally adopt a pet? Maybe even multiple? I really want to get a cat while living on campus but I still don’t feel independent enough to even take care of myself right now. I hope that in the future I will be an amazing chef and good at cleaning. I bet I still hate doing the dishes. I hope all is well in the future for us and that we are finally happy in life. I know in the past, we had our mental issues because of Covid and quarantine. Love you and take care of yourself, Naisha from 2023 signing off

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business Cards

 Sketches: Final Product: 1) 2) 3)  Artist Statement: For my business cards, I used the colours of my three different logo variations as my colour scheme. I played around with a lot of different layouts but I chose these three. I took different ideas from my sketches to create these because I did not like how they turned out and merged them into what the final business cards looked like. I mainly centered the logos for each front page and used the back for all the information. I chose a handwritten font to pair with my logo so that it had a fancy feel. I used glyphs to create the tiny icons of a phone, house, and email, which helped me omit the words "Contact Information" and make my cards look professional. I think my favourite front cover layout is the first one and my favourite back design layout is the last one.

Portfolio

Artist Statement: I tried my best to keep my portfolio as neat looking as possible and kept a colour scheme that is easy on the eyes; black, white and red. For the front and back cover I used pictures of Japan as they are aesthetically pleasing and related to me. I tried my best to separate my work and make it as big as possible so that it is able to be seen. I kept the artist statement/most of my text on separate pages. I made sure to organize the layout properly so that the texts weren't next to each other and made sure it was kept in order of when we did each assignment. My favourite page is the logo page where I formatted it to look like a professional brand guideline page and it took me very long to lay it out the way I wanted it to. If I had more time, I would try out some different fonts and make some pages more interesting, but overall I am very proud of what I made.

Self Portrait Poster

Final Image of my Poster: Self Portrait: Selfie Inspiration: Propaganda Inspiration: \ Artist Statement: In this piece of work, I wanted to take a stand against racism using my graphic design skills to create a propaganda poster. As a person of colour in America, and as a victim of hate-crime in this country, I wanted to explain my feelings through my use of colour and representation of myself in the poster. I chose the colours red, greyscale and yellow to somewhat take inspiration from the constructivism art movement. I chose yellow to represent the tape and typography banners because I wanted it to give the effect of a crime scene.  In Illustrator, I created my self-portrait using the pen tool and shading with different colours. I did not want to include too many colours in my poster so I exported my portrait into Photoshop and applied a black and white filter as well as changed the brightness and contrast of my image to make it greyscale but not muted looking. Then, I took that ima