Skip to main content

BW to Colour

Square


Double-Split Complementary



Triad

Artist Statement:

For this project, I tried to use three different colour schemes for each version to have some variation. To colour the pieces I used the brush tool on Photoshop and used the eyedropper tool for each colour from the palettes I created on color.adobe.com. I used the colour replacement tool to change some colours on the different pieces as manually doing it would not make my pieces look harmonious and play around with the composition. 

For the first one, I chose the square colour scheme and tried to make it aesthetically pleasing by choosing a nice skin colour tone and making my hair a purple colour so it stands out from my skin. I tested out different colours on different parts of the picture but settled on the way it looks in that piece because it looked the best in my opinion. 

For the second one, I chose blue as my main colour and did a double-split complementary colour scheme. I wanted to play around with the colour combo of blue and orange along with some green to bring in a different mood for the piece. I made it look more fantastical with blue hair and green background and matched my lip colour to my hair.

For the last one, I chose to make pink my main colour as I really like pink and wanted to try out the triad colour scheme. I like the way the pink and blue have darker versions of them as well to help with contrast. For this, I could have used darker shades for shading but I wanted to play around with the colours and make it non-realistic.


 

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed going through your website because of how much the theme matches your personality. I clicked on this BW to Color project because I thought you had done a great job; I struggled a lot with this project and was perhaps maybe the worst one I had done. However, I think that yours is great: the tones, color choice. If I had to give you a small critique it would be that I would recommend a photo of you standing just so that the audience can see you more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors turned out great in the Black and White to Color assignment. It looks so natural, and the opacity was done to a T! Mine assignment looked really blocky, but I should have been sitting next to you because maybe I would have learned better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Business Cards

 Sketches: Final Product: 1) 2) 3)  Artist Statement: For my business cards, I used the colours of my three different logo variations as my colour scheme. I played around with a lot of different layouts but I chose these three. I took different ideas from my sketches to create these because I did not like how they turned out and merged them into what the final business cards looked like. I mainly centered the logos for each front page and used the back for all the information. I chose a handwritten font to pair with my logo so that it had a fancy feel. I used glyphs to create the tiny icons of a phone, house, and email, which helped me omit the words "Contact Information" and make my cards look professional. I think my favourite front cover layout is the first one and my favourite back design layout is the last one.

Portfolio

Artist Statement: I tried my best to keep my portfolio as neat looking as possible and kept a colour scheme that is easy on the eyes; black, white and red. For the front and back cover I used pictures of Japan as they are aesthetically pleasing and related to me. I tried my best to separate my work and make it as big as possible so that it is able to be seen. I kept the artist statement/most of my text on separate pages. I made sure to organize the layout properly so that the texts weren't next to each other and made sure it was kept in order of when we did each assignment. My favourite page is the logo page where I formatted it to look like a professional brand guideline page and it took me very long to lay it out the way I wanted it to. If I had more time, I would try out some different fonts and make some pages more interesting, but overall I am very proud of what I made.

Self Portrait Poster

Final Image of my Poster: Self Portrait: Selfie Inspiration: Propaganda Inspiration: \ Artist Statement: In this piece of work, I wanted to take a stand against racism using my graphic design skills to create a propaganda poster. As a person of colour in America, and as a victim of hate-crime in this country, I wanted to explain my feelings through my use of colour and representation of myself in the poster. I chose the colours red, greyscale and yellow to somewhat take inspiration from the constructivism art movement. I chose yellow to represent the tape and typography banners because I wanted it to give the effect of a crime scene.  In Illustrator, I created my self-portrait using the pen tool and shading with different colours. I did not want to include too many colours in my poster so I exported my portrait into Photoshop and applied a black and white filter as well as changed the brightness and contrast of my image to make it greyscale but not muted looking. Then, I took that ima